This podcast is probably best enjoyed in the same manner it was recorded – with a drink in hand. This for a couple of reasons… Mainly, it’s the PJ20 weekend which is cause for celebration! Just the reports trickling in from the usual suspects leave little doubt that this event will be one to remember.
However, not everyone can be there and that is cause for commiseration. I, like many of you, could not make the pilgrimage to Alpine Valley. The last few days have been a vicious cycle of checking various sites for details, expressing regret that I didn’t sell plasma and cut coupons to find a way to be there, and then scheming ways for a last minute trip that would financially ruin me. Oh yeah, and all the while imbibing copious amounts of alcohol. Ultimately, I figured it would be a lot more productive and even therapeutic to dust off the mic and reconnect with a new episode.
ATS #81 is a musical time line of all my initial favorite songs from each respective album. Picking an absolute favorite Pearl Jam song is an impossible task. If you are like me, it changes depending on your mood and what is going on is your life at the moment. These tunes are the ones that had an immediate resonance for me with each record release. Some were eventually trumped by another song that grew on me but many remain my PJ catalog stalwarts. I also try to find my podcast sea legs in providing some commentary and tired rambling.
So join me in raising a glass and toasting in celebration of the last 20 years and commiserating amongst friends!
- Breath – early demo version (1990-1991)
- Even Flow – re-recorded version – Alive Japanese EP (1992)
- Animal – MTV VMAs – 9/2/93 Universal City, CA
- Whipping – 4/3/94 Atlanta, GA
- In My Tree – No Code (1996)
- Faithfull – Yield (1998)
- Grievance – 8/27/00 Saratoga Springs, NY
- Half Full – Chop Suey video – 9/6/02 Seattle, WA
- Life Wasted – Letterman – 5/4/06 New York, NY
- Got Some – 8/28/09 San Francisco, CA
- Down – 7/18/06 San Francisco, CA